Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog entry #1 - Sept 5th

What do I expect from this semester's field placement?
I did not get my first choice this semester when it came to the grade level I wanted to have my field experience in. My first choice was 1st grade, and my second choice was CD. I wanted first grade because I really think the grade I want to teach when I get out is Kindergarten and therefore I wanted to experience one grade higher to see what the children would be like and how they might differ from children only one year younger. I ended up getting placed in a CD class though this semester and I can honestly say that I am now very excited about my placement! I have never worked with four year olds before so I am quite excited to see what they will be like as well. It will be very interesting for me to see what preschool vs. kindergarten programs are like.

My reaction to our class' performances of Lemov's techniques -
So far I really like the "Teach like a Champion" text. I feel that all of the techniques we read about this past week will be useful to us as teachers. I do believe that we will have to use our own judgement as to when to use them, and which one to use at that given moment. I found it very helpful to watch all our classmates come up with and perform the techniques on their own. It just went to show us that these techniques are easy to use if we just take a moment to think about them and apply them. Now of course it will be much harder to do on the fly while teaching a lesson, but hopefully if they are always on our mind we will be able to use them from time to time. I definitely will try to use at least two of them during the lessons I teach this semester. My favorites are "No opt out" and Right is right". I think both of these could be used easily inside an early childhood classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment